Schoenberg: Chamber Symphony No. 1 in E major (Op. 9)
Charles Hazlewood delves into the detail of one of the landmarks of European music in the early years of the 20th Century, written when Schoenberg was striving to break free from the conventions of traditional tonality. Scored for 15 solo instruments the symphony is rich in thematic detail, which took the composer much time and effort to get right.
Charles explores Schoenberg's Chamber Symphony No. 1 in a workshop session with his own chamber orchestra Excellent Device.
The online audio is truncated for rights reasons.
Available since: Thu 22 May 2014
- Arnold Schoenberg
This clip is from
Charles Hazlewood and Excellent Device explore Schoenberg's Chamber Symphony No. 1.
First broadcast: 07 May 2005
More clips from Schoenberg: Chamber Symphony No. 1 in E major (Op. 9)
More clips from Discovering Music
- Watch an analysis of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Duration: 29:21 Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- Watch an analysis of Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Duration: 18:49 Ravel: Piano Concertos
- Sibelius: Symphony No. 5 Duration: 49:55 Sibelius's Fifth Symphony
- Arvo Part Choral Music Duration: 36:10 Arvo Pärt Choral Music
- John Adams: The Wound Dresser Duration: 31:01 John Adams: The Wound Dresser & Shaker Loops