Brahms: Symphony No. 4
Stephen Johnson explores Brahms's Fourth Symphony, written in the 2 years following the Third Symphony. It was Brahms's final work in this genre; Stephen explores some of the characteristics of the work's opening understated lilting melody, and considers the similarities with one of Brahms's Four Serious Songs, written the year before he died. The programme includes illustrative extracts of the work performed by the BBC Symphony Orchestra and its Chief Conductor Jirí Belohlávek.
Available since: Sun 11 May 2014
- Johannes Brahms
Listen to programmes examining the life and works of Johannes Brahms.
More clips from Brahms: Symphony No 4
More clips from Discovering Music
- Watch an analysis of Brahms' 2nd Piano Concerto Duration: 49:26 Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat major (Op. 83)
- Watch an analysis of Falla's 'Nights in the Gardens of Spain' Duration: 43:22 Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain
- Watch an analysis of Debussy's La mer Duration: 41:43 Debussy's La mer
- Watch an analysis of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Duration: 29:21 Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- Watch an analysis of Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Duration: 18:49 Ravel: Piano Concertos