Mahler: Symphonies of Songs - Episode 1
Gustav Mahler frequently incorporated singers into the line-ups of his Symphonies, but he also used elements from his own songs in them. In the first of two programmes Stephen Johnson delves into the world of Mahler's Symphonies to explore these echoes.
Available since: Tue 6 May 2014
This clip is from
1/2 Stephen Johnson on Mahler's use of singers and echoes of his own songs in his symphonies.
First broadcast: 02 May 2010
Listen to programmes examining the life and works of Gustav Mahler.
More clips from Episode 1
More clips from Discovering Music
- Watch an analysis of Brahms' 2nd Piano Concerto Duration: 49:26 Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat major (Op. 83)
- Watch an analysis of Falla's 'Nights in the Gardens of Spain' Duration: 43:22 Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain
- Watch an analysis of Debussy's La mer Duration: 41:43 Debussy's La mer
- Watch an analysis of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Duration: 29:21 Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- Watch an analysis of Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Duration: 18:49 Ravel: Piano Concertos