Mahler: Symphony No. 2 'Resurrection'
Stephen Johnson hosts a round the table discussion about Mahler's monumental work, his 2nd Symphony, sometimes called the "Resurrection."
Stephen is joined by 3 guests: Jeremy Barham, writer and editor of the Cambridge Companion to Mahler; Lesley Chamberlain, writer, critic and journalist, and author of the widely acclaimed book "Nietzsche in Turin"; and Colin Matthews, composer who collaborated with Dereyck Cooke on the performing version of Mahler's 10th Symphony. Their discussion includes the social context of the work and Mahler's development as a symphonist, and also ideas about interpreting the death and resurrection theme of the symphony.
The discussion is illustrated by short musical extracts, and the programme concludes with a recording of Mahler's tone-poem Totenfeier, which was later to become the first movement of the 2nd Symphony.
Available since: Sun 4 May 2014
- Gustav Mahler
Listen to programmes examining the life and works of Gustav Mahler.
More clips from Mahler's Resurrection Symphony
More clips from Discovering Music
- Watch an analysis of Brahms' 2nd Piano Concerto Duration: 49:26 Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat major (Op. 83)
- Watch an analysis of Falla's 'Nights in the Gardens of Spain' Duration: 43:22 Falla's Nights in the Gardens of Spain
- Watch an analysis of Debussy's La mer Duration: 41:43 Debussy's La mer
- Watch an analysis of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Duration: 29:21 Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- Watch an analysis of Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Duration: 18:49 Ravel: Piano Concertos