Swedish soprano Nina Stemme and pianist Matti Hirvonen perform Wagner's Wesendonck-Lieder live at the Wigmore Hall, London.
Inspired by the wife of one of Wagner's sponsors, Wesendonck-Lieder is said to employ musical material which was later to be fully realised in his opera Tristan und Isolde.
Presented by Sara Mohr-Pietsch.
This clip is from
Nina Stemme (soprano) and Matti Hirvonen (piano) in music by Schumann, Wagner and Weill.
First broadcast: 31 Mar 2014
More clips from Radio 3 Lunchtime Concert
- Villa-Lobos: Etudes Nos. 1, 5, 7 and 6 Duration: 09:03 Radio 3 New Generation Artists, Episode 3
- Rachmaninov: Six Duets, Op 11 Duration: 25:10 Radio 3 New Generation Artists, Episode 4
- Mussorgsky: The Nursery Duration: 16:29 Radio 3 New Generation Artists, Episode 4
- Mozart: Violin Sonata in B flat major, K454 Duration: 22:04 Radio 3 New Generation Artists, Episode 1
- John Ireland: Piano Trio No.2 Duration: 13:08 Lincolnshire, Mananan and Sheffield Festivals 2014, Episode 3