Six pound supper
Creamy Pea and Bacon Pasta
- 300g dried pasta (fusilli, penne are ideal) £0.60
- 12 rashers smoked streaky bacon, diced £1.50
- 1 small onion, finely chopped £0.10
- 150g frozen peas £0.18
- 150ml single cream £0.56
- Few leaves fresh mint, finely shredded £0.10
- 30g Parmesan, grated (optional) £0.70
- Salt and pepper £0.02
- Olive oil for frying £0.02
Get a large pan of salted water on to boil. Heat a frying pan to a medium heat and add a little oil then put in the onion and leave to soften for a few minutes.
When the water has boiled add the pasta and cook according to packet instructions.
While the pasta is cooking add the bacon to the pan with the onions. Fry the bacon and onions together until the bacon is golden.
4-5 minutes before the pasta is ready add the peas to the pan with the pasta in and leave to boil until the pasta time is up.
After the peas have gone in, add the cream to the bacon and onion with plenty of black pepper, reduce to a slow heat and stir regularly to warm the cream and slightly thicken it.
Drain the pasta and peas then stir through the cream and bacon. Add the mint and taste to see if you need to add a little salt and then mix in the Parmesan (if using).