Minimum wage row: "What a load of utter tosh"
The minimum wage is 15 years old but the man who designed it, Sir George Bain, says we need a new system.
Businesses say being forced to pay people more means they can't afford to hire more workers. It's been criticised for preventing unemployed people getting jobs.
In this 90-second summary, Ryan Bourne from the free-market think-tank the Institute of Economic Affairs says the minimum wage is now a flawed concept, but caller Robert from Newcastle says as a father he can barely survive on the minimum wage.
Available since: Fri 21 Feb 2014
More clips from 5 live Breakfast
- What's Wrong with Sugar? Duration: 01:34 Your Call, 05/05/2014
- Parents of Down's Syndrome twins: "Everyday is joyful" Duration: 03:25 Your Call, 21/03/2014
- Kate Bush's first live concerts for 35 years Duration: 02:59 21/03/2014
- Spamming Shakespeare Duration: 02:56 21/03/2014
- Peter Lawrence on his daughter Claudia Duration: 03:01 20/03/2014