Chapel Street, Altrincham: England’s Bravest Street
Chapel Street in Altrincham was a late Georgian street made up of brick terraces separated by a cobbled road of 12 feet. One hundred and sixty one men from here joined up in World War One, and twenty nine were killed. Their families showed their pride by fundraising for a roll of honour.
King George V sent a telegram to the street praising them their bravery on the day it was unveiled by the Earl of Stamford in 1919. Newspapers at the time described it as 'the bravest little street in England' as a result.
The street and Methodist chapel are long gone but in 2009 a plaque was placed on the side of the old grapes pub to remember the soldiers of Chapel street who never returned.