Last tale of the city
It started as a short story in a newspaper 40 years ago, and went on to become a series of best selling books.
Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City novels have sold five million copies worldwide.
Now he's written a ninth instalment, which he says will be the last. He came in to tell us why he's bringing the series to an end.
Available since: Thu 13 Feb 2014
More clips from 13/02/2014
More clips from Breakfast
- Ansel Elgort on The Fault in Our Stars Duration: 07:00 17/06/2014
- BBC Breakfast gets Happy! Duration: 02:41 28/05/2014
- Behind the scenes at the Chelsea Flower Show Duration: 00:48 19/05/2014
- Ricky keeps tight-lipped about his future on The Voice Duration: 07:43 27/03/2014
- Sophie Kinsella on juggling writing and motherhood Duration: 05:53 25/02/2014