Last tale of the city
It started as a short story in a newspaper 40 years ago, and went on to become a series of best selling books.
Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City novels have sold five million copies worldwide.
Now he's written a ninth instalment, which he says will be the last. He came in to tell us why he's bringing the series to an end.
Available since: Thu 13 Feb 2014
More clips from 13/02/2014
More clips from Breakfast
- Sophie Kinsella on juggling writing and motherhood Duration: 05:53 25/02/2014
- Paloma brightens up Breakfast Duration: 06:42 21/02/2014
- Can you predict an earthquake? A seismologist explains Duration: 04:08 21/02/2014
- The life and times of blues legend BB King Duration: 06:41 21/02/2014
- Mentally ill children treated on adult wards far from home Duration: 06:20 20/02/2014