Zoos: Vital in conservation or animal prisons?
One of the UK's most popular safari parks has been criticised for killing six of its lions. Longleat said the animals were destroyed because they were displaying behavioural problems. The announcement comes after an 18-month-old giraffe was killed by a zoo in Copenhagen over the weekend because of European rules on inbreeding.
In Your Call Nicky Campbell asked listeners and professionals what role zoos play in modern society.
In this 90 second summary Dr Lesley Dickie, Executive Director of European Association of Zoos and Aquaria, and Chris Draper, Programme Manager for Science at wildlife conservation charity Born Free, share their views.
Available since: Mon 10 Feb 2014
Bring yourself up to speed with 90 second summaries of the stories you need to know about
More clips from 5 live Breakfast
- What's Wrong with Sugar? Duration: 01:34 Your Call, 05/05/2014
- Parents of Down's Syndrome twins: "Everyday is joyful" Duration: 03:25 Your Call, 21/03/2014
- Kate Bush's first live concerts for 35 years Duration: 02:59 21/03/2014
- Spamming Shakespeare Duration: 02:56 21/03/2014
- Peter Lawrence on his daughter Claudia Duration: 03:01 20/03/2014