Faith 'misused' to justify violence
The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby says faith is often misused and can be a hook to hang complex issues that can lead to violence.
He has just embarked on a tour of four African countries, all of which have been touched by vicious and bloody conflict - South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Burundi.
He told HARDtalk's Zeinab Badawi he rejected any suggestion conflicts were simply caused by disagreements between different faiths and said other factors like ethnicity and economic conditions were very important.
Available since: Thu 30 Jan 2014
More clips from HARDtalk
- Ama Ata Aidoo on feminism in Africa Duration: 03:07 Ama Ata Aidoo
- Grouse shooting ‘can be disastrous for the environment’ Duration: 01:59 Chris Packham
- Hamas spokesman on restoring ceasefire Duration: 02:11 Osama Hamdan
- Dore Gold on hopes for Mid-East peace Duration: 02:52 Dore Gold
- EU must 'deliver results' says Bildt Duration: 03:26 Carl Bildt