Faith 'misused' to justify violence
The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby says faith is often misused and can be a hook to hang complex issues that can lead to violence.
He has just embarked on a tour of four African countries, all of which have been touched by vicious and bloody conflict - South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Burundi.
He told HARDtalk's Zeinab Badawi he rejected any suggestion conflicts were simply caused by disagreements between different faiths and said other factors like ethnicity and economic conditions were very important.
Available since: Thu 30 Jan 2014
More clips from HARDtalk
- Abdullah Abdullah 'committed' to sharing power with Ghani Duration: 04:44 Abdullah Abdullah
- Dr Mads Gilbert: Life as a doctor in a Gaza hospital Duration: 03:11 Dr. Mads Gilbert
- Iraqi Kurds 'need weapons, not boots on ground' - Masrour Barzani Duration: 00:23 Masrour Barzani
- Rasmussen: Appeasement ‘can encourage’ tyrants Duration: 02:53 Anders Fogh Rasmussen
- Robin Williams: Stand-up demands everything Duration: 03:50