Six pound supper
Creamy Tuna and Tomato Pasta
Time: 15 mins prep + 25-30 mins cooking
Cost: 89p per serving (based on 4 adults servings)
Calories: 538 per serving (based on 4 adults servings)
- 400g dried penne pasta (or other pasta shapes)
- 1 tbsp oilve oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 185g tins of tuna in brine, drained
- 500g passata
- Couple of handfuls of frozen vegetables (optional)
- 1 tsp dried Italian mixed herbs
- Good pinch dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 150g low fat soft cheese (helps to be at room temperature)
- Fresh basil, cheese or rocket to garnish (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in another large saucepan and fry the crushed garlic for around a minute before adding the tuna, passata, frozen veg, dried herbs and tomato purée. Season to taste. Bring to the boil and simmer very gently while you wait for the pasta to finish cooking.
Drain the cooked pasta and add to the tuna and tomato sauce. Stir well, and add the soft cheese. Continue to stir over a low heat until everything is very well combined and the cheese has completely melted and dispersed.
Serve immediately topped with some fresh basil, cheese or rocket if you like. Enjoy while it's steaming hot. You can have if for lunch the following day as well, but the pasta may be a teeny bit soft.