The rise and rise of bitcoin
The term bitcoin may be familiar to many of us, but if pressed would you really be able to explain what it is and how it works?
The virtual currency, launched five years ago, can be used as a form of trading just like cash, gold or shares.
The University of Cumbria has become the first in the UK to allow some students to use the bitcoin to pay tuition fees.
But will it really revolutionise the way we pay for things, as some predict? Breakfast's Tim Muffett has been investigating.
Available since: Mon 27 Jan 2014
More clips from 27/01/2014
More clips from Breakfast
- Ansel Elgort on The Fault in Our Stars Duration: 07:00 17/06/2014
- BBC Breakfast gets Happy! Duration: 02:41 28/05/2014
- Behind the scenes at the Chelsea Flower Show Duration: 00:48 19/05/2014
- Ricky keeps tight-lipped about his future on The Voice Duration: 07:43 27/03/2014
- Sophie Kinsella on juggling writing and motherhood Duration: 05:53 25/02/2014