Britten: Noye's Fludde
Martyn Brabbins conducts the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra and Junior Conservatoire of the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in Britten's Noye's Fludde.
Penny Gore introduces the live performance given last November in Glasgow's City Halls.
Britten's community opera was written for soloists and orchestra as usual, but also invites audience participation and parts for amateur performers and tuned tea cups. Can Noah persaude his wife on to the Ark before the rains set in?
Siobhan Redmond (Voice of God)
Leigh Melrose (Noye)
Jennifer Johnston (Mrs Noye)
Photo copyright of John Wood.
This clip is from
3/4 The BBC SSO in Britten: Noye's Fludde. Plus music by Tchaikovsky and Haydn.
First broadcast: 15 Jan 2014
More clips from Afternoon on 3
- Germany at War: Dr Stefan Hanheide talking about the music of Walter Braunfels. Duration: 02:14 Music in the Great War, Germany at War
- Britain - Outbreak: Jeremy Dibble on Stanford's Irish Rhapsody Duration: 02:21 Music in the Great War, Britain at War - Outbreak
- Ian McMillan reads Love in the Asylum Duration: 03:33 BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Episode 1
- Dylan Thomas reads There was a Saviour Duration: 06:37 BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Episode 1
- Richard Burton reads Fern Hill Duration: 06:30 BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Episode 1