UK leaving ECHR would be a disasterous says president of the European Court of Human Rights
The President of the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), Judge Dean Spielmann, has told HARDtalk it would be a "political disaster" if Britain left the European Convention on Human Rights.
"We have a unique system of protecting human rights," he said, "Britain should be very careful not to lose its credibility by taking such an important move," he added.
UK Conservative Justice Secretary Chris Grayling has said he is working on proposals for a "radical change" to human rights laws which would "curtail" the role of the ECHR in the UK.
Available since: Wed 15 Jan 2014
More clips from HARDtalk
- 'We need better energy efficiency' Duration: 01:30 Lord Nicholas Stern
- Jessye Norman: Why I ignore my critics Duration: 04:08 Jessye Norman
- Heseltine: 'Immigration a top agenda item' Duration: 03:41 Lord Heseltine
- ‘Containment’ best policy for Syria says Francis Fukuyama Duration: 02:49 Francis Fukuyama
- Dabbashi: Libya faces threat of falling under terrorist control Duration: 03:37 Ibrahim Dabbashi