UK leaving ECHR would be a disasterous says president of the European Court of Human Rights
The President of the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), Judge Dean Spielmann, has told HARDtalk it would be a "political disaster" if Britain left the European Convention on Human Rights.
"We have a unique system of protecting human rights," he said, "Britain should be very careful not to lose its credibility by taking such an important move," he added.
UK Conservative Justice Secretary Chris Grayling has said he is working on proposals for a "radical change" to human rights laws which would "curtail" the role of the ECHR in the UK.
Available since: Wed 15 Jan 2014
More clips from HARDtalk
- Moldova PM: There is nothing worse than 'uncertainty' Duration: 03:14 Iurie Leanca
- The wine collection with a Nazi past Duration: 01:50 On the Road: Moldova
- BBC exclusive interview with Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal Duration: 03:56
- Hamas is ‘threatening’ Palestinian civilians says Israel’s former deputy defence minister Duration: 04:04 Danny Danon
- 'There is still hope' says Bring Back Our Girls campaigner Duration: 03:56 Obiageli Ezekwesili