Keir Starmer: Legal system failing victims
The former chief prosecutor in England and Wales Keir Starmer says that after his five years in the post he concluded the legal system was "not fit for purpose" for victims.
He told HARDtalk's Stephen Sackur the legal system had developed over 200 years as a straight fight between the prosecution and defence "and nobody thought about the rights of victims until very recently".
Available since: Mon 13 Jan 2014
More clips from HARDtalk
- West looks 'really weak' over Ukraine Duration: 02:18 Olexander Scherba
- Gideon Levy: I see 'first signs of fascism' in Israel Duration: 02:35 Gideon Levy
- Netanyahu 'killed' negotiations with Palestinians Duration: 02:40 Yasser Abed Rabbo
- Steinitz: Israel paid heavy price over Gaza Duration: 01:19 Yuval Steinitz
- Military reoccupation of Gaza 'was seriously considered' Duration: 00:53