Keir Starmer: Legal system failing victims
The former chief prosecutor in England and Wales Keir Starmer says that after his five years in the post he concluded the legal system was "not fit for purpose" for victims.
He told HARDtalk's Stephen Sackur the legal system had developed over 200 years as a straight fight between the prosecution and defence "and nobody thought about the rights of victims until very recently".
Available since: Mon 13 Jan 2014
More clips from HARDtalk
- Obama’s ‘mistake’ on Iraq troops Duration: 03:27 James Jeffrey
- Islamic State: Will Turkey let Kobane fall? Duration: 03:39 Mehmet Fatih Ceylan
- 'Families want me to negotiate with IS, but I cannot' Duration: 02:46 Giandomenico Picco
- David Tang on Hong Kong protests Duration: 01:21 Sir David Tang
- 'No carbon tax for Australia' Duration: 02:37 Joe Hockey