Keir Starmer: Legal system failing victims
The former chief prosecutor in England and Wales Keir Starmer says that after his five years in the post he concluded the legal system was "not fit for purpose" for victims.
He told HARDtalk's Stephen Sackur the legal system had developed over 200 years as a straight fight between the prosecution and defence "and nobody thought about the rights of victims until very recently".
Available since: Mon 13 Jan 2014
More clips from HARDtalk
- Trans-Dniester leader: ‘We are alive, we exist’ Duration: 03:03 Yevgeny Shevchuk
- Moldova PM: There is nothing worse than 'uncertainty' Duration: 03:14 Iurie Leanca
- The wine collection with a Nazi past Duration: 01:50 On the Road: Moldova
- BBC exclusive interview with Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal Duration: 03:56
- Hamas is ‘threatening’ Palestinian civilians says Israel’s former deputy defence minister Duration: 04:04 Danny Danon