Keir Starmer: Legal system failing victims
The former chief prosecutor in England and Wales Keir Starmer says that after his five years in the post he concluded the legal system was "not fit for purpose" for victims.
He told HARDtalk's Stephen Sackur the legal system had developed over 200 years as a straight fight between the prosecution and defence "and nobody thought about the rights of victims until very recently".
Available since: Mon 13 Jan 2014
More clips from HARDtalk
- More states need to join ICC says former chief prosecutor Duration: 04:07 Luis Moreno-Ocampo
- Eurozone 'wasted' two years Duration: 02:46 Peter Bofinger
- People do not mix in unequal societies says Prof Dorling Duration: 03:07 Danny Dorling
- Chrissie Hynde on 'blagging' confidence Duration: 02:12 Chrissie Hynde
- McCain: Putin 'rebuilding Russian empire' Duration: 03:07 John McCain