Keir Starmer: Legal system failing victims
The former chief prosecutor in England and Wales Keir Starmer says that after his five years in the post he concluded the legal system was "not fit for purpose" for victims.
He told HARDtalk's Stephen Sackur the legal system had developed over 200 years as a straight fight between the prosecution and defence "and nobody thought about the rights of victims until very recently".
Available since: Mon 13 Jan 2014
More clips from HARDtalk
- IS 'direct result' of Assad's campaign in Syria - Ali Khedery Duration: 03:25 Ali Khedery
- 'No realm for reconciliation' with Islamic State Duration: 03:18 General Bishop Angaelos
- Abdullah Abdullah 'committed' to sharing power with Ghani Duration: 04:44 Abdullah Abdullah
- Dr Mads Gilbert: Life as a doctor in a Gaza hospital Duration: 03:11 Dr. Mads Gilbert
- Iraqi Kurds 'need weapons, not boots on ground' - Masrour Barzani Duration: 00:23 Masrour Barzani