Russia-Ukraine relationship 'pragmatic' - Margelov
The Russian Federation Council's Mikhail Margelov has told BBC HARDtalk Russia's economic relationship with Ukraine is "pragmatic."
Asked about reports of Russian officials placing heavy pressure on Ukraine not to sign a trade deal with the European Union, Senator Margelov said they were only trying to point out how "interdependent" Ukraine's economy is with those of other former Soviet countries - and that they could help Ukraine overcome its economic problems.
Since late November, thousands of pro-EU Ukrainians have been protesting in Kiev over the government's decision not to sign the partnership deal with the EU and calling for the president and government to resign.
Available since: Wed 11 Dec 2013
More clips from HARDtalk
- IS 'direct result' of Assad's campaign in Syria - Ali Khedery Duration: 03:25 Ali Khedery
- 'No realm for reconciliation' with Islamic State Duration: 03:18 General Bishop Angaelos
- Abdullah Abdullah 'committed' to sharing power with Ghani Duration: 04:44 Abdullah Abdullah
- Dr Mads Gilbert: Life as a doctor in a Gaza hospital Duration: 03:11 Dr. Mads Gilbert
- Iraqi Kurds 'need weapons, not boots on ground' - Masrour Barzani Duration: 00:23 Masrour Barzani