'Iran uses terrorism as a tool of statecraft' says Senator Marco Rubio
Republican Senator Marco Rubio has told HARDtalk he fears an international agreement recently signed with Iran will allow it to keep pursuing nuclear weapons.
"Iran continues to be an active state sponsor of terrorism, they use terrorism as a tool of statecraft," he said.
"They continue to develop their long-range missile capabilities. You don't build those capabilities to deliver a conventional warhead," he added.
Senator Rubio is part of a bilateral congressional group that wants tougher sanctions against Iran. He is widely seen as a possible contender for the White House in 2016.
Available since: Thu 5 Dec 2013
More clips from HARDtalk
- The wine collection with a Nazi past Duration: 01:50 On the Road: Moldova
- BBC exclusive interview with Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal Duration: 03:56
- Hamas is ‘threatening’ Palestinian civilians says Israel’s former deputy defence minister Duration: 04:04 Danny Danon
- 'There is still hope' says Bring Back Our Girls campaigner Duration: 03:56 Obiageli Ezekwesili
- Ama Ata Aidoo on feminism in Africa Duration: 03:07 Ama Ata Aidoo