Schulz: UK should be a 'fully-fledged' EU member
The President of the European Parliament, Martin Schulz, has told HARDtalk that he wants the United Kingdom to be a "fully-fledged member of the European Union and not a part-time member."
He was responding to a question regarding the UK prime minister's promise to hold a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU by the end of 2017, if the Conservative party wins a majority at the next general election.
Mr Schulz said he was willing to discuss Mr Cameron's proposals for EU reform, adding that if they improved the effectiveness of the EU he would be in favour of them.
Available since: Wed 4 Dec 2013
More clips from HARDtalk
- IS 'direct result' of Assad's campaign in Syria - Ali Khedery Duration: 03:25 Ali Khedery
- 'No realm for reconciliation' with Islamic State Duration: 03:18 General Bishop Angaelos
- Abdullah Abdullah 'committed' to sharing power with Ghani Duration: 04:44 Abdullah Abdullah
- Dr Mads Gilbert: Life as a doctor in a Gaza hospital Duration: 03:11 Dr. Mads Gilbert
- Iraqi Kurds 'need weapons, not boots on ground' - Masrour Barzani Duration: 00:23 Masrour Barzani