Schulz: UK should be a 'fully-fledged' EU member
The President of the European Parliament, Martin Schulz, has told HARDtalk that he wants the United Kingdom to be a "fully-fledged member of the European Union and not a part-time member."
He was responding to a question regarding the UK prime minister's promise to hold a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU by the end of 2017, if the Conservative party wins a majority at the next general election.
Mr Schulz said he was willing to discuss Mr Cameron's proposals for EU reform, adding that if they improved the effectiveness of the EU he would be in favour of them.
Available since: Wed 4 Dec 2013
More clips from HARDtalk
- 'There is still hope' says Bring Back Our Girls campaigner Duration: 03:56 Obiageli Ezekwesili
- Ama Ata Aidoo on feminism in Africa Duration: 03:07 Ama Ata Aidoo
- Grouse shooting ‘can be disastrous for the environment’ Duration: 01:59 Chris Packham
- Hamas spokesman on restoring ceasefire Duration: 02:11 Osama Hamdan
- Dore Gold on hopes for Mid-East peace Duration: 02:52 Dore Gold