Schulz: UK should be a 'fully-fledged' EU member
The President of the European Parliament, Martin Schulz, has told HARDtalk that he wants the United Kingdom to be a "fully-fledged member of the European Union and not a part-time member."
He was responding to a question regarding the UK prime minister's promise to hold a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU by the end of 2017, if the Conservative party wins a majority at the next general election.
Mr Schulz said he was willing to discuss Mr Cameron's proposals for EU reform, adding that if they improved the effectiveness of the EU he would be in favour of them.
Available since: Wed 4 Dec 2013
More clips from HARDtalk
- Streatfeild: We must learn lessons from Afghanistan Duration: 01:50 Major Richard Streatfeild
- State breeds violence in Rio says director Jose Padilha Duration: 03:31 Jose Padilha
- Brazil lost World Cup 'off the pitch' Duration: 03:24 Romario and Luis Fernandes
- Emmanuel Jal raps about his time as a child soldier Duration: 03:01 Emmanuel Jal
- Ukraine PM: 'We will retaliate against Russian aggression' Duration: 02:08 Arseniy Yatsenyuk