"Great writers end up belonging not to the people who knew them, but to the world"
Hermione Lee discusses with Anne McElvoy the concerns of biographers, and considers the moral implications of studying writers' personal letters.
Available since: Tue 3 Dec 2013
This clip is from
Including the 2013 Turner Prize winner, Bernstein's Candide and a discussion about letters
First broadcast: 02 Dec 2013
More clips from Night Waves
- "It changed my way of thinking about acting" - Richard Wilson on Yasujiro Ozu's Tokyo Story Duration: 00:31 Landmarks: Tokyo Story
- Actor Richard Wilson's film recommendation Duration: 00:19 Landmarks: Tokyo Story
- Landmark: Lawrence of Arabia, June 2008 Duration: 43:36 Peter O'Toole Appreciation, Genetics and Education, Japan at Christmas, Dragons
- Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia, the 50th Anniversary, December 2012 Duration: 15:59 Peter O'Toole Appreciation, Genetics and Education, Japan at Christmas, Dragons
- "It is the one remaining great miscarriage of justice" - Lord Hutchinson on Steven Ward's conviction Duration: 11:00 The Early 1960s