17th century slave ships
Dr Sam Willis explores the cruel truth about the harsh treatment meted out to slaves on board if their ship sank.
Available since: Mon 2 Dec 2013
This clip is from
2/3 The story of shipwrecks moves into the Georgian age, when Britain ruled the waves.
First broadcast: 09 Dec 2013
More clips from A World Turned Upside Down
More clips from Shipwrecks: Britain's Sunken History
- Mastering the sea Duration: 02:23 Civilising the Sea
- The origin of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution Duration: 02:55 Civilising the Sea
- The custom of the sea Duration: 01:27 Civilising the Sea
- The high drama of the shipwreck Duration: 01:18 A World Turned Upside Down
- The sinking of the 'Halsewell' in 1786 Duration: 01:17 A World Turned Upside Down