One of the best connected men in the UK music industry
|Fact title||Fact data|
He may only be 19 but Uzoechi Osisioma Emenike (MNEK for short) is certainly one of the best connected men in the UK music industry.
His star is on the rise and his talent is so evident in everything that he’s done so farZane Lowe
He has credits on songs by Rudimental and Little Mix, and scored his first number one this April on Duke Dumont and AME’s club Anthem Need U (100%).
In his downtime, he remixes hits for A-list artists including Whitney Houston, Jennifer Lopez and George Michael.
Born in Lewisham, London, he started making music in his bedroom at the age of nine, and had a publishing deal by the time he was 14.
A fan of pop production house Xenomania (Pet Shop Boys, Girls Aloud, Kylie Minogue), he got in touch with their songwriter Miranda Cooper on Facebook and ended up in their Kentish hit factory, co-writing The Saturdays’ All Fired Up.
Sharing a haircut with ‘80s hip-hoppers Kid ‘N Play, he is signed to dance collective Rudimental’s label, Black Butter.
His sultry, soulful vocals recently got an outing on the Gorgon City’s house track Ready For Your Love but MNEK, who cites Janet Jackson and Timbaland amongst his formative influences, is yet to release any material under his own name.
- 1. Sam Smith You may not know his face, but you definitely know his voice
- 2. Ella Eyre The 19 year old with the instantly recognisable voice
- 3. BANKS Fusing dark R&B with thunderous electronic grooves
- 4. Sampha His distinctive vocals have drawn comparisons to Tracey Chapman
- 5. George Ezra Bluesy, acoustic ballads
- Chance The Rapper On a mission to disrupt the hierarchy of hip-hop
- Chlöe Howl Frank lyrics and electro beats
- FKA twigs A moody, breathy and intimate affair
- Jungle An enigmatic duo whose work is built on friendship
- Kelela LA based singer at the forefront of the experiment R&B movement
- Luke Sital-Singh A new talent who already has the sound of greatness to him
- MNEK One of the best connected men in the UK music industry
- Nick Mulvey Multi-instrumentalist and former member of Portico Quartet
- Royal Blood Unashamedly loud two piece from Brighton
- Say Lou Lou Organic ethereal music landscapes with flowing instruments and vocals