Britten: The Building of the House
The BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra performs a piece by Britten.
This overture, The Building of the House, was composed for the grand opening of the new Snape Maltings Concert Hall in Suffolk in 1967. The first performance included a chorus but this version is for a small orchestra with extra brass. The venue burnt down two years later on the first night of the 1969 festival but it was resurrected in record time and was ready for the following year’s festival in 1970.
This clip is from
4/4 Penny Gore presents the BBC SSO performing music by Sibelius, Britten and Mahler.
First broadcast: 25 Oct 2013
More clips from Afternoon on 3
- Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé - Complete ballet Duration: 59:13 Ravel and the Ballet
- Ravel: Ma mère l'oye 'Mother Goose' - Complete ballet Duration: 31:27 Ravel and the Ballet
- Mussorgsky arr Ravel: Pictures at an Exhibition Duration: 33:49 Thursday Opera Matinee, Ravel - L'heure espagnole
- Tom Service interviews Thea Musgrave Duration: 11:35
- BBC Concert Orchestra - Sondheim: Inside Out Duration: 07:12 The Singing Will Never Be Done, Episode 4