The Hear and Now Fifty - Stockhausen
Finnish conductor and music director of Ensemble InterContemporain Susanna Malkki pays tribute to Stockhausen's 1950s masterpiece Gruppen for 3 orchestras, and highlights some of the challenges to conductors in performing it; commentator Paul Griffiths places the work in the context of Stockhausen's early output, and explains how the shape of a mountain view in Switzerland dictated the work's tempo patterns. The clip begins with Stochausen himself.
Available since: Sat 19 Oct 2013
This clip is from
Robert Worby introduces music by Stockhausen and Luigi Nono.
First broadcast: 19 Oct 2013
More clips from Stockhausen, Nono - The Rest is Noise
More clips from Hear and Now
- Composers' Rooms: No.13 Laura Bowler Duration: 12:07 Sonorities 2014
- Composers' Rooms: No.14 Laurence Crane Duration: 12:07 Smith Quartet and Joby Burgess
- Composers' Rooms: No.15 Judith Weir Duration: 12:06 Elliott Carter in Glasgow
- Christopher Fox's 're:play' with Anton Lukoszevieze & Aleksander Kolkowski Duration: 11:40 Smith Quartet and Joby Burgess
- Composers' Rooms: Mark-Anthony Turnage Duration: 12:06 Harrison Birtwistle