Dr Sarah Hudspith of Leeds University on the literary fascination with Nihilism and political violence
Ivan Turgenev was the first of Russia's literary giants to feature a Nihilist as a character but Tolstoy and Dostoevsky shared his fascination with political extremists.
Available since: Wed 2 Oct 2013
This clip is from
Fergal Keane meets the anarchists who petrified the genteel society of the 1890s.
First broadcast: 09 Oct 2013
More clips from Terror Through Time
- Peter Snow reported on the story of Leila Khaled for ITN Duration: 01:06 Hijack!
- Danielle Michel-Chiche describes the day she became a victim of the FLN bombing campaign Duration: 01:05 Killers in the Casbah
- Napoleon, the little bread seller and a bomb in a cart Duration: 01:59 Napoleon and the Birth of Terror
- Margaret MacMillan explains the motives of Gavrilo Princip Duration: 01:00 Empires Crumble
- Dr Shane Kenna on the London Underground bomb of 1883 Duration: 00:44 The Fenian Dynamiters