Clarke Carlisle: Why footballers are paid so much
Clarke Carlisle, Chairman of the Professional Footballer's Association, says the money footballers get paid should be seen in context of the supply and demand in the multi-billion pound industry.
He argues that the perception of footballers as not worthy of large salaries should be challenged, and that players work just as hard to stay at the top of their game as actors or businessmen who earn similar amounts.
He tells Stephen Sackur that big budget transfers will continue as long as the massive sums of money flood into the game.
Available since: Tue 24 Sep 2013
More clips from HARDtalk
- Hamas spokesman on restoring ceasefire Duration: 02:11 Osama Hamdan
- Dore Gold on hopes for Mid-East peace Duration: 02:52 Dore Gold
- EU must 'deliver results' says Bildt Duration: 03:26 Carl Bildt
- 'Al-Shabab members deserve to die' says former mayor of Mogadishu Duration: 04:48 Mohamoud Nur
- Syria's PYD is 'part of the solution' says Salih Muslim Duration: 03:42 Salih Muslim Mohammed