The first of America’s two invasions
Only twice has America been successfully invaded by outside enemy forces. Once was 11 September 2001. The previous occasion was August 1814, when the British burned the White House.
Available since: Fri 30 Aug 2013
This clip is from
1/5 August 1814. The United States wakes to find the Royal Navy moored in Chesapeake Bay.
First broadcast: 02 Sep 2013
More clips from Book of the Week
- Laurie Lee’s daughter Jessy on ‘As I Walked Out…’ Duration: 03:06 As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning
- "...an earthquake had struck the West Midlands..." Duration: 00:50 Curious: True Stories and Loose Connections
- Sweden Duration: 00:33 The Almost Nearly Perfect People: The Truth about the Nordic Miracle, Sweden, the Perfect Society
- Finland Duration: 00:53 The Almost Nearly Perfect People: The Truth about the Nordic Miracle, Enigmatic Finland
- Flexicurity Duration: 00:30 The Almost Nearly Perfect People: The Truth about the Nordic Miracle, Denmark, the Happiest Country in the World