Harmony, dissonance and an introduction to opera
Monteverdi’s madrigals and the opera 'L’Orfeo' are used to demonstrate unrelated chords and dissonance. Opera is introduced as a longer extended musical form and to demonstrate how music is used to stir emotion.
Available since: Wed 28 Aug 2013
This clip is from
Howard Goodall traces the story of music from the ancient world to the modern day.
More clips from Howard Goodall's Story of Music
- Saint-Saëns and developments in French composition Duration: 04:29 Learning Zone, Episode 2
- Franz Liszt, symphonic poems and orchestral music Duration: 11:21 Learning Zone, Episode 2
- A profile of Beethoven Duration: 09:40 Learning Zone, Episode 2
- Shostakovich and the effects of Nazi rule on composers Duration: 07:26 Learning Zone, Episode 2
- Haydn, symphonies and melodic writing Duration: 10:50 Learning Zone, Episode 2