Eve Branson: 'I dressed as a man to fly wartime gliders’
Eve Branson, mother of Sir Richard, tells Midweek's Libby Purves about her adventures and narrow escape as a wartime glider pilot - and how she had to disguise herself as a man.
Available since: Thu 6 Jun 2013
This clip is from
Libby Purves meets musician Cerys Matthews and Eve Branson, mother of Sir Richard.
First broadcast: 05 Jun 2013
More clips from Midweek
- Harry Redknapp: "The more you screamed, the more he turned the machine up" Duration: 01:30 Alexander Armstrong, Wilbur Smith, Harry Redknapp, Anna Walker
- Richard Noble: "You're convinced you're driving straight down vertically into the centre of the earth" Duration: 01:05 Emma Thompson, Richard Noble, Linda Thompson, Dr Paul Abel
- How Barry Norman scored an Oscar scoop Duration: 00:52 Alexei Sayle, Barry Norman, Jacqui Dankworth, Don Bachardy
- How Fred Astaire took up skateboarding at 70 Duration: 00:45 Ava Astaire, Michael 'Mini' Cooper, Franc Roddam, Doug Allan, Ewan Clayton
- 'Something grabbed me around the waist with its flippers' Duration: 01:22 Ava Astaire, Michael 'Mini' Cooper, Franc Roddam, Doug Allan, Ewan Clayton