Mary is forced to abdicate, 1568
Defeated in battle, Mary is captured and held at Lochleven Castle. Pregnant and scared, she is forced to abdicate in favour of her infant son, James VI.
Available since: Wed 22 May 2013
The Protestant Reformation sweeping Europe opened up a fresh divide in Scottish politics.
More clips from Project Britain
More clips from A History of Scotland
- William Wallace Duration: 03:28 Series 1, Hammers of the Scots
- The Battle of Stirling Bridge Duration: 03:42 Series 1, Hammers of the Scots
- The Battle of Falkirk Duration: 02:12 Series 1, Hammers of the Scots
- Jacobite invasion plan, 1708 Duration: 02:59 Series 2, Let's Pretend
- The Battle of Culloden, 1746 Duration: 04:15 Series 2, Let's Pretend