Food Friday - Strawberry & Rose Cheesecakes
Cheesecake base (for 2 mini ramekins)
150g cream cheese
2 tbsp icing sugar
Squeeze of lemon juice
125ml double cream
1/2 Tsp vanilla bean paste
220g strawberries (hulled)
Juice 1/2 lemon
1tsp rose water
Handful of freeze dried rose petal (optional!)
50g shortbread biscuits
Knob of butter
Put oven on to 150*
* Put the shortbread biscuits into a food bag & bash to large crumbs with your weapon of choice!
* Melt the butter and then combine with the crumbed biscuits
* spread the buttery crumbs onto a baking tray & bake for 5-10 minutes until they crisp lightly! Keep a close eye so they don't burn!
Meanwhile make the base:
* Lightly mix the cream cheese to a smooth consistency, mix in the icing sugar, lemon juice & vanilla paste.
* whip the double cream to 'stiff peak' stage then combine well with the cream cheese mix.
* divide evenly between your ramekins and compress to fill every gap!
* chill in the fridge for minimum of 1 hour, ideally 2.
Whilst the base is chilling make the compote:
*Put the strawberries, sugar & lemon juice onto a medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
* when the sugar has dissolved turn the heat up full and bring to a ferocious boil.. Continue to boil for 3-5 minutes.
* remove from the heat - be careful this is scorching hot!! Add the rose water & petals and gently stir. Allow to cool fully.
* when the base & compote are fully chilled spoon the compote on top of the base & crumble over the shortbread - enjoy!!!
If you want to make a full sized cheesecake just double the qtys specified above and allow the base to chill for at least 5 hours.