Explaining to my father
Richard Feynman says that after attending university his father Melville often asked him to explain areas of science he did not understand. He wanted to know where a photon comes from when an atom makes the transition from one state to another. Feynman tells him it is created from the motion of the electron, but this answer didn't satisfy his father. It reminds Feynman of a humorous moment with his own young son.
Available since: Sat 10 May 2008
This clip is from
Professor Richard Feynman of Caltech talks about his life and career.
First broadcast: 23 Nov 1981
More clips from The Pleasure of Finding Things Out
More clips from Horizon
- What's Wrong with our Weather? Duration: 01:15 2013-2014, What's Wrong with Our Weather?
- Trailer: Where is Flight MH370? Duration: 01:48 2013-2014, Where is Flight MH370?
- Intro: The £10 Million Challenge Duration: 02:09 The £10 Million Challenge
- Trail: The £10 Million Challenge Duration: 00:20 The £10 Million Challenge
- 50 Years of Horizon Duration: 05:28