A day in the life of the Junior Jarl at the Up Helly Aa
Lenny Allan is 2013 Junior Jarl who leads the junior squads and procession on the day of the Up Helly Aa fire festival. He guides us through his day as chief Viking, including visits to schools and marching through the streets of Lerwick before finishing with a fiery torchlit procession to burn a Viking longship. Lenny explains the sigificance to him of being part of the festival and its importance in the community. The organised schedule of the day that we see illustrates the formalisation that the Victorians made to the festival that has lasted through generations.
Available since: Thu 28 Mar 2013
This clip is from
Children from Moray, Badenoch, Shetland & Harris learn the influence of the Victorian era.
More clips from The Victorians: How they influenced us
More clips from The L.A.B Scotland
- Generation 2014 - This Is Me - Jennifer Duration: 03:10 Generation 2014: This Is Me
- Generation 2014 - This Is Me - Anthony Duration: 04:17 Generation 2014: This Is Me
- Sanderson High School - The Sand Show Duration: 04:47
- Shawlands Academy - One School Many Languages Duration: 06:09
- Broughton High School - News School Report Duration: 08:46