Handel, the pianoforte and oratorio
The invention of the pianoforte is discussed with technical examples and descriptions. J.S. Bach is discussed before linking to Handel. A profile on Handel’s career and compositions, with examples of the historical context follows, with detail on his oratorio and extracts from 'Messiah' and 'Solomon'.
Available since: Wed 27 Mar 2013
This clip is from
1/2 The first hour of this version for secondary schools traces the story of music to 1850.
First broadcast: 27 Mar 2013
More clips from Episode 1
More clips from Howard Goodall's Story of Music
- Harmony, dissonance and an introduction to opera Duration: 05:40
- Saint-Saëns and developments in French composition Duration: 04:29 Learning Zone, Episode 2
- Franz Liszt, symphonic poems and orchestral music Duration: 11:21 Learning Zone, Episode 2
- A profile of Beethoven Duration: 09:40 Learning Zone, Episode 2
- Shostakovich and the effects of Nazi rule on composers Duration: 07:26 Learning Zone, Episode 2