Key signatures, equal temperament and the 12-tone tuning system
Howard Goodall plays an extract in different key signatures on the piano and explains the 12-tone tuning system. He then discusses Johann Sebastian Bach’s 'The Well-Tempered Clavier' and the degrees of the scale.
Available since: Wed 27 Mar 2013
This clip is from
1/2 Howard Goodall charts the development of techniques musicians now take for granted.
First broadcast: 27 Mar 2013
More clips from Episode 1
More clips from Howard Goodall's Story of Music
- Harmony, dissonance and an introduction to opera Duration: 05:40
- Saint-Saëns and developments in French composition Duration: 04:29 Learning Zone, Episode 2
- Franz Liszt, symphonic poems and orchestral music Duration: 11:21 Learning Zone, Episode 2
- A profile of Beethoven Duration: 09:40 Learning Zone, Episode 2
- Shostakovich and the effects of Nazi rule on composers Duration: 07:26 Learning Zone, Episode 2