Living with Usher Syndrome: Laura and Hannah
Laura (Step-Mum) explains to Hannah how she was born deaf but nobody in the family knew she was deaf until they noticed that she was still talking baby talk at the age three. Laura has Usher syndrome which means that she is partially deaf and blind and always needs help from the family. Laura tells Hannah that she never thought that anyone would ever love a deaf and blind woman but Hannah’s dad did. She met Hannah’s dad at work, he asked to try some of her tea and that was the beginning of a beautiful relationship. Hannah tells Laura how amazing and inspirational she is and that she’s not like the fairy tale step mum (mean and evil) more like a best friend. Laura talks about tripping over and people not realising that she’s deaf and blind because she is so young and doesn’t carry her white stick.
This clip is from
Capturing the nation in conversation, curated and archived by the British Library.
More clips from The Listening Project
- Tommy and Rhys - Knowing Your Own Mind Duration: 03:51
- Jan and Ama - More Than Just Hair Duration: 02:37 Sunday Edition - Women Dealing with Life
- Andy and Wyn - From Cared For to Carer Duration: 03:46
- Richard and Manu - From the Street to the Kitchen Duration: 03:49
- Andy and Wyn - Art Saved My Life Duration: 03:38