Emma Brockes: She left me the gun - my mother's life before me
Growing up in an English village, Emma Brockes knew very little of her mother’s life before her. She knew Paula had grown up in South Africa and had seven siblings. She’d even heard mention of a trial. But most of the past was a mystery. After her mother’s death Emma decided to investigate Paula’s untold story and discovers a dark secret.
Available since: Mon 25 Mar 2013
This clip is from
Jane Garvey asks if we're making too much of the makeover, and talks to Emma Brockes.
First broadcast: 25 Mar 2013
Books, Film, Music, Theatre, Visual Arts.
More clips from Woman's Hour
- "You're not allowed to die in the House of Lords": 3 Baronesses on life in the Lords. Duration: 19:19 One dame, three baronesses; Miner's wives, the CoppaFeel Campaign
- Woman's Hour Power List 2014 Game Changers - what does it take to be a game changer? Duration: 15:59 The A-Z of Mrs P; Compensation for Libyan rape victims; Game Changers; Losing your mum
- "He went from walking, to full time in a wheelchair - in a fortnight" Duration: 05:58 Minette Batters, Unlikely Friends, Forced Marriage Statistics, Muscular Dystrophy
- What is a Game Changer? Duration: 03:07 Power List 2014; Jack Monroe; Grooming; Police fitness
- Jack Monroe Cooks the Perfect...Falafel Duration: 09:42 Power List 2014; Jack Monroe; Grooming; Police fitness