How do satellites survive in space?
Satellites have to withstand incredibly hostile conditions in space. Temperatures can fluctuate between 150 degrees Celsius and minus 200 degrees Celsius, so it’s imperative that a satellite’s on-board electronics are protected from these extreme conditions. Katy Smith, a Thermal Architect, explains some of the clever innovations engineers use to keep the interior at a constant temperature.
Available since: Thu 13 Dec 2012
More clips from How to Build 2: Learning Zone
More clips from How to Build...
- How to test a super jumbo wing Duration: 05:12 How to Build 2: Learning Zone
- How modern materials and technology in Formula One cars reaches road cars Duration: 04:58 How to Build 2: Learning Zone
- How to assemble the wing of the world's largest airliner Duration: 04:04 How to Build 2: Learning Zone
- How to test a Superjumbo wing Duration: 05:13 Series 2, A Super Jumbo Wing
- Why is testing essential in design and build? Duration: 03:57 Series 1, A Nuclear Submarine