Mary puts together her take on a traditional Easter Simnel cake.
Traditionally Simnel cake has three marzipan layers; two on the top and one hidden in the middle. Using a 50 gram block of marzipan divided into three, Mary makes a circle of marzipan to go in the middle of the cake tin. She rolls it out and keeps turning it around to keep it round.
Mary places the circle of marzipan firmly on top of the first layer of cake mix, then spoons the rest on top. She puts the cake into the pre-heated oven to bake at 150 degrees (or 130 if fan assisted). It will take 2 and a half hours.
Available since: Tue 19 Mar 2013
More clips from The Great British Bake Off
- Mary Berry's chocolate ganache Duration: 01:07 Christmas Special
- How to shape pizza dough Duration: 01:28 Series 4, Masterclass 4
- How to make homemade butter Duration: 01:43 Series 4, Masterclass 3
- How to blind bake pastry Duration: 01:39 Series 4, Masterclass 2
- How to make two-tone icing Duration: 00:45 Series 4, Masterclass 1