'The lungs of Almaty'
The former Soviet republic of Kazakhstan wants to develop its ski-ing industry as a way to diversify its oil-based economy but some fear this could threaten the country’s areas of natural beauty.
One of these is the national park near Almaty, the country’s commercial capital, where the government wants to build a multi-million-dollar ski resort.
As Rayhan Demytrie discovers, while tourists enjoy the slopes, many residents worry about the environmental cost.
Available since: Tue 12 Mar 2013
More clips from 09/03/2013 GMT
More clips from Fast Track
- Taking the Mallakhamb yoga challenge Duration: 01:29 08/02/2014 GMT
- Indian drivers urged to stop honking horns Duration: 02:17 08/02/2014 GMT
- What will 2014 mean for travel? Duration: 01:30 14/12/2013 GMT
- Looking back on the travel headlines of 2013 Duration: 06:31 14/12/2013 GMT
- How a cheap business class ticket could leave you grounded Duration: 04:05 14/12/2013 GMT