'The lungs of Almaty'
The former Soviet republic of Kazakhstan wants to develop its ski-ing industry as a way to diversify its oil-based economy but some fear this could threaten the country’s areas of natural beauty.
One of these is the national park near Almaty, the country’s commercial capital, where the government wants to build a multi-million-dollar ski resort.
As Rayhan Demytrie discovers, while tourists enjoy the slopes, many residents worry about the environmental cost.
Available since: Tue 12 Mar 2013
More clips from 09/03/2013 GMT
More clips from Fast Track
- Up close with Zambia's wild animals Duration: 05:17 07/12/2013 GMT
- Insider Guide: The mirrors bringing sunlight Duration: 04:13 30/11/2013 GMT
- Are cycle lanes heading for a dead end? Duration: 07:13 07/12/2013 GMT
- Visiting one of the world's fastest growing cities Duration: 04:33 30/11/2013 GMT
- Insider Guide: Bat migration Duration: 04:04 02/11/2013 GMT