Can 'Ned' be reclaimed as a title of pride?
'Ned' is a Scottish version of the word 'Chav' with much the same meaning.
But can the term be used with a sense of pride? Public health researcher Robert Young and Dr Stephanie Lawler discuss what the term means and if this is possible.
Available since: Thu 21 Feb 2013
This clip is from
Weapon dogs - status canines as urban menace. Also, the Scottish subculture of 'neds'.
First broadcast: 20 Feb 2013
More clips from 'Ned' Pride in Scotland; Weapon Dogs
More clips from Thinking Allowed
- The Global Pigeon Duration: 01:51 Northern Ireland Sectarianism and Civility; The Global Pigeon
- The significance of Ethnographic research Duration: 02:02 Remembering Diana; Ethnography Award
- Has the heyday of subcultures passed? Duration: 01:01 Drugs for Life; Subcultural Identity
- What is a status dog and what do they signify for their owners? Duration: 03:06 'Ned' Pride in Scotland; Weapon Dogs
- How authentic is World Music? Duration: 03:12 Birth of Neo-Liberalism; Music, Race and Difference