Stravinsky’s magnificent polyrhythms
Polyrhythm, conceived from scratch by a composer, was breathtakingly novel a concept and Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring was the high watermark of musical modernism.
Available since: Tue 19 Feb 2013
This clip is from
Composer Howard Goodall looks at the period when modernism in music arrived.
First broadcast: 23 Feb 2013
More clips from Howard Goodall's Story of Music
- The rise of teenagers and Rock and Roll Duration: 02:39 The Popular Age
- Liszt the trail-blazer Duration: 01:24 The Age of Tragedy
- Mozart the sublime and surprising Duration: 02:22 The Age of Elegance & Sensibility
- Attraction between chords Duration: 02:28 The Age of Invention
- A breakthrough in musical notation Duration: 02:00 The Age of Discovery