Cannabis should be treated ‘the same as alcohol’
When Guatemala’s President Otto Perez Molina took office just over a year ago he said the war on drugs has failed and that it was time to consider decriminalising them.
HARDtalk speaks to the newly appointed Foreign Minister, Fernando Carrera and asks what this would entail.
Mr Carrera says that Cannabis should be treated "the same as alcohol" with "legalised production and regulated distribution and trade".
You can watch the full interview on the BBC News Channel on Tuesday 12th February at 04.30 and on Wednesday 13th at 00:30 GMT; on BBC World News on Tuesday 12th February at 04:30, 09:30, 14:30 and 21:30 GMT and on BBC 2 on Tuesday 12th February at 10.0 GMT.
Available since: Wed 13 Feb 2013
More clips from HARDtalk
- Francois Pienaar: ‘We cannot fail Mr Mandela’ Duration: 02:41 09/12/2013 GMT
- 'Iran uses terrorism as a tool of statecraft' says Senator Marco Rubio Duration: 02:42 Marco Rubio
- Schulz: UK should be a 'fully-fledged' EU member Duration: 02:32 Martin Schulz
- EU's Laszlo Andor: UK politicians 'echo xenophobia' Duration: 04:12 Laszlo Andor
- Stephen Sackur Duration: 00:50