Dishy Chef Dish of the Day
CHEESE N PICKLE DODGERS BY MARTIN BLUNOS
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BISCUITS
150 gr Cheddar cheese (grated)
50 gr Parmesan cheese (fine grated)
25 gr unsalted butter (softened / room temp)
60 gr plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
good pinch cayenne pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180oC
2. Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and blitz until the dough comes together. Wrap in clingfilm and leave to rest in the fridge for at least half an hour.
3. Roll out the dough on a floury surface to roughly 3mm in thickness, but not too thick, cut discs and set aside. Re roll trimmings and repeat till all dough is used up. Cut middle out of half of the discs using a small cutter.
4. Put all on to parchment lined baking sheest and cook in the oven for 12 mins + for the biscuit with the holes and a few mins longer for the full biscuit.
5. When done remove from oven and lift on to a cooling rack to set. Leave till cold, they will be nice a crsip. Store in an airtight container till needed if they soften a little just pop back into the oven for a few mins. Can be eaten like this or ‘Dodgered’ and filled with a pickle jelly – see below.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE PICKLE JELLY
150gr pickle or chutney (home made or bought)
2 tbsp cold water
3 leaves bronze leaf gelatine (available from most supermarkets)
Place pickle into a small food processor or with a blender whizz till smooth.
Empty the smooth pickle into a saucepan add the water and heat up gently, stirring from time to time.
Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water till soft – squeeze out excess moisture then add to the hot pickle mixture. Mix well then set aside to cool.
When the pickle is cool and on point of setting use a little to sandwich two biscuits together (the full biscuit topped with one with a hole in). Leave to set completely (about 10 mins).