Where Pop meets Opera
Opera and classical music are synonymous with drama, heightened emotions and passion - tempestuous and tormented. Love pure and driven, rivalry, jealousy, ambition – these huge themes are at the heart of so many of the works. It’s no surprise the music has impressed generations of musicians. Queen, Faithless, Charlotte Church, Muse, Katherine Jenkins, Josh Groban - they have taken opera into their hearts, and songs. Radio 2 Dance DJ Dave Pearce talks to music producer, dance and trance specialist Darren Tate (aka Jurgen Vries), Strictly Come Dancing music maestro Dave Arch and X Factor winner and singer Joe McElderry to explore the appeal classical has with contemporary music. Featuring tracks from Enigma, Charlotte Church, Il Divo and Queen.
Available since: Fri 25 Jan 2013
More clips from Friday Night is Music Night
- Shock of the Rock Duration: 01:55 The Shock of the New
- Mark Ovenden on the Underground Duration: 01:34 Mind the Gap - a musical tour of London's Underground
- The Alternative John Williams Duration: 12:02 Happy Birthday John Williams!
- Larry Blank on Gene Kelly Duration: 01:02 Gotta Sing, Gotta Dance!
- Scarlett Strallen on Gene Kelly Duration: 00:39 Gotta Sing, Gotta Dance!