'First he wanted to call himself X'. DJ Taylor on how Eric Blair chose George Orwell for his pen name.
DJ Taylor explains why Eric Blair felt he needed a pen name and why he fixed on Orwell.
Available since: Mon 14 Jan 2013
This clip is from
A journey exploring the man Eric Blair and the writer George Orwell
More clips from The Real George Orwell
- 'It's like watching ten movies about his life.' Joseph Millson on The Real George Orwell dramas Duration: 01:00
- Pippa Nixon on the two sides of Nineteen Eighty-Four's Julia Duration: 00:52 Nineteen Eighty-Four, Episode 2
- How the atomic bomb shaped Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four Duration: 02:47 The Road to Nineteen Eighty-Four
- Preview clip of Nineteen Eighty Four Duration: 00:50 Nineteen Eighty-Four, Episode 1
- Preview clip of The Real George Orwell: Dreaming Duration: 00:59