A Bigger Bang
The explosive effect of placing the element sodium in water is school chemistry lab classic, but why must teachers always use such a small piece?
Dr Peter Wothers finds out by using a much bigger piece of sodium, and a much bigger tank of water.
Available since: Tue 8 Jan 2013
This clip is from
2/3 Peter Wothers finds out whether the elements lurking in the water can restore his youth.
First broadcast: 27 Dec 2012
More clips from Royal Institution Christmas Lectures
- How does a cell know when to die? Duration: 01:50 2013: Life Fantastic, Could I Live Forever?
- Why is there such stunning diversity on our planet? Duration: 01:58 2013: Life Fantastic, Am I a Mutant?
- You are amazing! Duration: 01:47 2013: Life Fantastic, Where Do I Come From?
- Levitating Superconductors Duration: 02:05 2012: The Modern Alchemist, Earth: The Philosopher's Stone
- The Alchemist Discovers Phosphorus Duration: 02:14 2012: The Modern Alchemist, Air: The Elixir of Life