The Alternative John Williams
In the interval feature actor Ian McDiarmid – Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars films – looks at the alternative John Williams, shining a light on the composer's early Hollywood work, his lesser known – but no less acclaimed – film scores, and his conducting work with the Boston Pops.
With contributions from friends, colleagues and peers including Andre Previn, Keith Lockhart and Rob Marshall, Ian will show that there’s more to the work of John Williams than just sharks, spaceships and sorcery.
Available since: Mon 17 Dec 2012
This clip is from
A special concert celebrating the music of composer John Williams in his 80th year.
First broadcast: 14 Dec 2012
More clips from Friday Night is Music Night
- Michael Feinstein on his special Radio 2 concert, with special guests Maria Friedman and Joe Stilgoe Duration: 03:22 Michael Feinstein
- Michael Xavier and Rosalie Craig on Radio 2's musical tribute to America Duration: 02:56 Independence Day
- The BBC Concert Orchestra rehearsal - in just 20 seconds Duration: 00:51 Independence Day
- Friday Night is Tony Blackburn Night! Duration: 02:34 Tony Blackburn Special
- Behind the scenes at Radio 2's special D-Day concert Duration: 06:14 D-Day 70 Years On