The Alternative John Williams
In the interval feature actor Ian McDiarmid – Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars films – looks at the alternative John Williams, shining a light on the composer's early Hollywood work, his lesser known – but no less acclaimed – film scores, and his conducting work with the Boston Pops.
With contributions from friends, colleagues and peers including Andre Previn, Keith Lockhart and Rob Marshall, Ian will show that there’s more to the work of John Williams than just sharks, spaceships and sorcery.
Available since: Mon 17 Dec 2012
This clip is from
A special concert celebrating the music of composer John Williams in his 80th year.
First broadcast: 14 Dec 2012
More clips from Friday Night is Music Night
- Singer Meav and presenter Dervla Kirwan chat about being part of an exhilarating night of Irish music and culture Duration: 01:52 Celebrating Roddy Doyle with music from The Commitments and the music of Ireland
- Producer Anthony Cherry on staging a bold, ambitious Friday Night concert, celebrating the music of Ireland Duration: 00:55 Celebrating Roddy Doyle with music from The Commitments and the music of Ireland
- Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the fabulous Zoe Ball and the amazing Craig Revel Horwood! Duration: 01:11 Friday Night Is Strictly Night
- Will Lance Ellington and Hayley Sanderson please take to the floor! Duration: 01:29 Friday Night Is Strictly Night
- Composers of the Strictly TV theme chat about hearing their tune perfomed by the BBC Concert Orchestra Duration: 02:03 Friday Night Is Strictly Night