Hideous Histories - changes in body ideals and trends throughout time
A whirlwind tour of our obsession with appearance over the past few hundred years. Four female comedians take us through the various changes in body and beauty ideals for men and women throughout time to demonstrate that, what is 'in' in terms of the way we look is never 'in' for long. The fleeting state of body and beauty ideals, and the extreme and harmful nature of some of the trends are highlighted through the over-the-top style of this film. This prompts young people to question whether it is worth endangering their physical and psychological health in order to try to live up to the latest body fashions.
Available since: Tue 11 Dec 2012
This clip is from
Busting body image myths and investigating the commercialisation of body image ideals.
More clips from Your Body: Your Image
- Fashion and beauty industry influences on advertising Duration: 07:44 The Blame Game
- Global Body - cultural influences on body ideals and body image Duration: 05:54
- Body Talk - reducing body related talk and teasing Duration: 07:35
- Faking It - the unrealistic nature of media images Duration: 07:24
- Your Body Your Image promo Duration: 00:30