How is ice-cream kept soft in freezing conditions?
Farmer Jimmy Doherty tours the biggest ice cream factory in the world to discover how they manage to keep the ice cream soft to allow them to shape it into desserts. Inside the control room we see how computers monitor and control the manufacture of the ice cream. Jimmy then speaks to an ice cream scientist to discover how small ice crystals, the addition of air and the correct proportion of sugar helps keep the ice cream soft.
Available since: Fri 23 Nov 2012
More clips from Episode 1
More clips from Jimmy's Food Factory
- How canning food prevents food poisoning Duration: 04:17 Second Helpings, Episode 1
- How milk is homogenised and pasteurised Duration: 06:26 Second Helpings, Episode 1
- How is cola produced? Duration: 08:37 Second Helpings, Episode 1
- How chicken kievs can be made cheaply Duration: 06:49 Second Helpings, Episode 2
- How cornflakes are produced Duration: 07:41 Second Helpings, Episode 1